BUG #7631: tcp_keepalives_* parameters ignored in postgresql.conf - related to 9.0.10 or 9.0.9 patch? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From robj@hightouchinc.com
Subject BUG #7631: tcp_keepalives_* parameters ignored in postgresql.conf - related to 9.0.10 or 9.0.9 patch?
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      7631
Logged by:          Rob Johnson
Email address:      robj@hightouchinc.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.10
Operating system:   RHEL 5.8

The last four lines in my postgresql.conf file, under
/var/lib/pgsql/9.0/data, are:

# (15 per hour * 6 hours =3D 90)
tcp_keepalives_count=3D90
tcp_keepalives_idle=3D240
tcp_keepalives_interval=3D240

I last changed this file on August 13th, 2012.  I remember that when I added
these parameters to postgresql.conf, they showed the correct values when I
ran "show all" at the psql command line.  However, they now all display 0
values.

I ran "show all" and included some of the output below.  The config_file
parameter shows that when the instance started, it used the postgresql.conf
file that includes my tcp_keepalives_* parameters.  The "max_connections"
parameter is 600, which I also have defined in that postgresql.conf file, so
I know that at least *some* non-default parameter values are processed
properly.

I *suspect* this problem was created by the 9.0.10 or 9.0.9 patch, because I
was running 9.0.8 when I changed the tcp_keepalives_* parameters, but that's
just an uninformed guess.

(I updated my postgresql* packages from the PGDG repository to 9.0.9 on
August 20th, and to 9.0.10 on September 25th.)

postgres=3D# show all;
              name               |                 setting                 |
                                                         description

---------------------------------+-----------------------------------------=
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-------
 config_file                     | /var/lib/pgsql/9.0/data/postgresql.conf |
Sets the server's main configuration file.
 max_connections                 | 600                                     |
Sets the maximum number of concurrent connections.
 tcp_keepalives_count            | 0                                       |
Maximum number of TCP keepalive retransmits.
 tcp_keepalives_idle             | 0                                       |
Time between issuing TCP keepalives.
 tcp_keepalives_interval         | 0                                       |
Time between TCP keepalive retransmits.
(208 rows)