Re: Dealing with big tables - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mindaugas
Subject Re: Dealing with big tables
Date
List pgsql-performance
> my answer may be out of topic since you might be looking for a
> postgres-only solution.. But just in case....

  I'd like to stay with SQL.

> What are you trying to achieve exactly ? Is there any way you could
> re-work your algorithms to avoid selects and use a sequential scan
> (consider your postgres data as one big file) to retrieve each of the
> rows, analyze / compute them (possibly in a distributed manner), and
> join the results at the end ?

  I'm trying to improve performance - get answer from mentioned query
faster.

  And since cardinality is high (100000+ different values) I doubt that it
would be possible to reach select speed with reasonable number of nodes of
sequential scan nodes.

  Mindaugas