Updating a production database schema from dev server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stanislav Raskin
Subject Updating a production database schema from dev server
Date
Re: Updating a production database schema from dev server  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
Re: Updating a production database schema from dev server  (mljv@planwerk6.de)
List pgsql-general

Hello everybody,

I am currently running two PostgreSQL servers on two different machines. One of them I use for development and the other one as the “real” production server for my applications.

While developing new versions of these applications, I of course have to modify the database schema, including changing the definitions of views and sql functions, creating new indexes and removing others, changing schemas and data types in some tables, redistributing privileges and so on. Until now, when I decided to update the applications on the production machine to a newer version, I used to apply these changes manually, which is quite error-prone and annoying.

I figure there must be a better way to do so. Is there some kind of software, which compares two database schemas (preferably two sql dumps), and generates a script for applying differences to one of them?

What would be the best practice for applying such updates without endangering the data and its integrity?

Thank you very much in advance.

SR