Re: Areca 1260 Performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron
Subject Re: Areca 1260 Performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
At 06:40 PM 12/6/2006, Brian Wipf wrote:
>I appreciate your suggestions, Ron. And that helps answer my question
>on processor selection for our next box; I wasn't sure if the lower
>MHz speed of the Kentsfield compared to the Woodcrest but with double
>the cores would be better for us overall or not.
Please do not misunderstand me.  I am not endorsing the use of Kentsfield.
I am recommending =evaluating= Kentsfield.

I am also recommending the evaluation of 2C 4S AMD solutions.

All this stuff is so leading edge that it is far from clear what the
RW performance of DBMS based on these components will be without
extensive testing of =your= app under =your= workload.

One thing that is clear from what you've posted thus far is that you
are going to needmore HDs if you want to have any chance of fully
utilizing your Areca HW.

Out of curiosity, where are you geographically?

Hoping I'm being helpful,
Ron