Re: Areca 1260 Performance (was: File Systems - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron
Subject Re: Areca 1260 Performance (was: File Systems
Date
List pgsql-performance
The 1100 series is PCI-X based.  The 1200 series is PCI-E x8
based.  Apples and oranges.

I still think Luke Lonergan or Josh Berkus may have some interesting
ideas regarding possible OS and SW optimizations.

WD1500ADFDs are each good for ~90MBps read and ~60MBps write ASTR.
That means your 16 HD RAID 10 should be sequentially transferring
~720MBps read and ~480MBps write.
Clearly more HDs will be required to allow a ARC-12xx to attain its
peak performance.

One thing that occurs to me with your present HW is that your CPU
utilization numbers are relatively high.
Since 5160s are clocked about as high as is available, that leaves
trying CPUs with more cores and trying more CPUs.

You've got basically got 4 HW threads at the moment.  If you can,
evaluate CPUs and mainboards that allow for 8 or 16 HW threads.
Intel-wise, that's the new Kentfields.  AMD-wise, you have lot's of
4S mainboard options, but the AMD 4C CPUs won't be available until
sometime late in 2007.

I've got other ideas, but this list is not the appropriate venue for
the level of detail required.

Ron Peacetree