Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From bob parker
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 01:28, John Wells wrote:
> Yes, I know you've seen the above subject before, so please be gentle with
> the flamethrowers.
>
> I'm preparing to enter a discussion with management at my company
> regarding going forward as either a MySql shop or a Postgresql shop.
>
> It's my opinion that we should be using PG, because of the full ACID
> support, and the license involved.  A consultant my company hired before
> bringing me in is pushing hard for MySql, citing speed and community
> support, as well as ACID support.

Apologies for the empty reply - my mind is on brain death so I needed to
imitate it.

I'll address only the alleged community support for MySql because you will
get much better qualified replies to your other concerns from others.

About 18 months ago I had to choose a DB for my home grown small systems.
Knowing very little about them I lurked on the both this list and a MySql
list for a couple of months.

In contrast to this list, the MySql one not only had a high proportion of
brain dead questions, there were a fair few answers of the same grade too.

I quickly decided that Postgresql was the better product by far for that and
many other reasons.

HTH
Bob