Re: add darwin/osxpb support to cvs - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Hartzler
Subject Re: add darwin/osxpb support to cvs
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Monday, October 23, 2000, at 12:43 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Do you actually *need* -O0 on darwin with current sources?
> Or is that a leftover from 7.0.* ?  AFAIK -O2 should work on PPC.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Yes, that's correct. That can be bumped up to -O2 now and it works fine (and remove the -g flag as well). It does
createa very small difference in the geometry floating point tests though. I checked with the other platform results
anddidn't find any match so I might just have to generate a specific file.

Another problem I discovered happens when you compile --with-perl. It compiles libpq.a ok, runs ranlib on it, installs
itinto /usr/local/pgsql/lib ok, but then when it tries to build the Perl module and link against it, it generates a
"runranlib on libpq" error. I don't know where exactly it's messing up but simply adding an extra '$(RANLIB)
$(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/lib$(NAME).a'right after '$(INSTALL_DATA) $< $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/lib$(NAME).a' in Makefile.shlib
seemsto hack/fix the problem. I have to look closer at the Perl build section I guess.

That assembly code in s_lock.c also really needs to be changed to reflect a possible build on a i386 darwin system.
Thereis already a __powerpc__ label in there and Apple is recommending that we only use __ppc__ or __Apple__ now since
theyplan on phasing the other labels out at some point in the future. How about just using both of these instead? The
theDARWIN_OS flag can be dumped and the i386 code can be tagged as __Apple__ and __i386__.

thanks for you help,

bruce

Here's the output from ccsym:

__GNUC__=2