RE: AIX support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Srirama Kucherlapati
Subject RE: AIX support
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Hi Peter, thanks for your feedback.

We are eager to extend our support in resolving the issues specific to AIX or corresponding

compilers (XLC and cLang).

But as there are no issues with the patch after reverting the changes(with the latest compilers

gcc12 and xlc-16.0.1.18), we were wondering if this patch can be merged with the current release 17??

Having said that, we are committed to resolve all the hacks and caveats that got

accumulated specific to AIX over the period by picking and resolving one after the other,

rather than waiting for all the hacks to be fixed.

 > One of the reasons that the AIX port ultimately became unmaintainable
  > was that so many hacks and caveats were accumulated over the years.  A
  > new port should set a more recent baseline and trim all those hacks.

Please help me understand this, with respect to the AIX specific hacks, is it just we can find

all the location where _AIX macros are involved OR can we just look at the patch changes only, as all

the changes that were made were specific to AIX. If not, is there any other location where

we could find all the hacks to be resolved.

Can you provide some more details on the expectations here?

Warm regards,

Sriram.