Re: connection timeouts and "killing" users - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: connection timeouts and "killing" users
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sep 11, 2008, at 12:02 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

>> I don't think so.  What might work best is to have two pg_hba.conf
> files, and link to each one.  so one is pg_hba.conf.lockout and one is
> pg_hba.conf.normal, let's say.  lockout is set to only answer to the
> postgres user.  Switch the pg_hba.conf files, and do a pg_ctl
> stop;pg_ctl start or equivalent (/etc/init.d/postgresql stop / start)
> and then do your processing.  switch them back and restart pgsql
> again.

Note that if he's not manually killing off each of the client
connections only the first restart is necessary (to kill off the child
connections) as config reload will take care of pg_hba.conf changes.

Erik Jones, Database Administrator
Engine Yard
Support, Scalability, Reliability
(415) 963-4410 x 260