Re: Adaptec/LSI/?? RAID - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: Adaptec/LSI/?? RAID
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Jun 1, 2005, at 11:42 PM, Stacy White wrote:

> "we find LSI does not work well with 4GB of RAM. Our engineering
> find that
> LSI card could cause system crashes. One of our customer ... has
> found that
> Adaptec cards works well on PostGres SQL -- they're using it as a
> preforce
> server with xfs and post-gress."
>
> Any comments?  Suggestions for other RAID controllers?

I have twin dual opteron, 4GB RAM, LSI MegaRAID-2X cards with 8 disks
(2@RAID0 system+pg_xlog, 6@RAID10 data) running FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE.

Works just perfectly fine under some very heavy insert/update/delete
load.  Database + indexes hovers at about 50Gb.

I don't use the adaptec controllers because they don't support
FreeBSD well (and vice versa) and the management tools are not there
for FreeBSD in a supported fashion like they are for LSI.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806

Attachment