Re: Multiple index builds on same table - in one sweep? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Chris Ruprecht
Subject Re: Multiple index builds on same table - in one sweep?
Date
List pgsql-performance
I'm running 2 tests now, one, where I'm doing the traditional indexing, in sequence. The server isn't doing anything
else,so I should get pretty accurate results.
Test 2 will win all the create index sessions in separate sessions in parallel (echo "create index ..."|psql ... & )
oncethe 'serial build' test is done.

Maybe, in a future release, somebody will develop something that can create indexes as inactive and have a build tool
buildand activate them at the same time. Food for thought?

On Apr 9, 2011, at 13:10 , Tom Lane wrote:

> Chris Ruprecht <chris@ruprecht.org> writes:
>> I have a table that I need to rebuild indexes on from time to time (records get loaded before indexes get build).
>> To build the indexes, I use 'create index ...', which reads the entire table and builds the index, one at a time.
>> I'm wondering if there is a way to build these indexes in parallel while reading the table only once for all indexes
andbuilding them all at the same time. Is there an index build tool that I missed somehow, that can do this?