Re: Free disk space decreasing after running Vaccum Full - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Sabyasachi Mukherjee
Subject Re: Free disk space decreasing after running Vaccum Full
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hello ,
Thanks for your response. I am running vacuum full schema_name.table_name.
And after each table run - the amount of free space in the disk in decreasing.
Though I am not deleting any rows from the table.

Sabyasachi Mukherjee
Press Alt+Down for more options

From: Wells Oliver <wells.oliver@gmail.com>
Sent: 28 June 2024 17:57
To: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>
Cc: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin@lists.postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: Free disk space decreasing after running Vaccum Full

VACUUM FULL is designed to release disk space back to the OS by rebuilding the table. Unless I misunderstand, this is the effect and desired intent.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2024 at 7:53 AM Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 28, 2024 at 9:58 AM Sabyasachi Mukherjee <mukherjee.sabyasachi@outlook.com> wrote:
Hello All,
The disk space is decreasing drastically after running "Vaccum Full".
I was expecting increase of free disk space after running those commands. I am on Postgresql 16.1
Any guidance/advise?

3. VACUUM FULL should only be run after deleting or updating a significant portion of a table.