Re: Transactions and ID's generated by triggers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: Transactions and ID's generated by triggers
Date
List pgsql-general
On 28 Feb 2011, at 22:07, Andre Lopes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> How can I user the RETURNING without pl/sql? My PostgreSQL version is 8.3
>
> Can you give me some example?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/sql-insert.html

Most notably the last example on that page.

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Alban Hertroys
> <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl> wrote:
>> On 28 Feb 2011, at 24:37, David Johnston wrote:
>>
>>> Using pl/pgsql you can:
>>
>> You don't need pl/pgsql for that. You can return the resultset of the first insert into a client-side variable
(whilestill making use of the RETURNING-clause of course).

>> Of course, the benefit of using pl/pgsql for this is that you could make the desired behaviour independent of
client-implementations(which are all too likely to differ if there are multiple types of clients). However, for that to
workreliably you will need to do some extra work to make sure it's the only possible code-path for inserting those
records.