Re: SERIAL does not ROLLBACK - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jens Eliasson
Subject Re: SERIAL does not ROLLBACK
Date
List pgsql-novice
I do understand the reasons for the developers to not have the serial
counter to rollback. Using a sequence number for foreign keys in other
tables, it has to be really important to have a reference that is
unique over time. As Thomas, I would really consider the consequences
before I'd change that.

I have an idea that may solve your needs. Why not have another column
for "invoice number" or what you want and make a function that iterates
it with one based on the existing max of the column that you then use
inside the transaction where you make the insert?

/Jens