Re: backup_label and server start - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: backup_label and server start
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 09:47 +0000, Peter Childs wrote:
>> How about this, emit a warning on shutdown and fail to shutdown until
>> the backup has finished.
>
> That would be reasonable for -m smart shutdown.
>
> We would then be treating the backup as a connection.
>
> ...but not for a fast shutdown.
>
> Any comments against?

No, that would be ok with me.

Anything that gets us out of the trap that you can shutdown
a server without any warning and then cannot restart it without
manual intervention.

What about: refuse shutdown for "smart" if a backup is in progress,
but shutdown with a loud warning for "fast".

... I still don't know what's wrong with removing backup_label
upon a clean server shutdown ...

Yours,
Laurenz Albe