Re: Can't access Cluster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Can't access Cluster
Date
List pgsql-general
Ralph Smith wrote:
> I'm using 7.4 before we upgrade.
> pg_dumpall worked fine on working cluster.
> I Imported it all into a virgin install of 7.4 on a different box.
> Used pg_ctl to restart that box after the import.  All went fine.
>

> On trying to connect as a valid user on that database I get:
>    DATE  TIME FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "username"
>    psql FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "username"
>

> On that box pg_hba.conf has...
>    local   all         all           ident sameuser

See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/auth-methods.html#AEN23442

Is your operating system one of Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD,
OpenBSD, or BSD/OS?
Is there a database user with the same name as the
operating system user?

> None of the PG____ environment variables are set.
> I thought they would be c/o the import all.
> Where should I make them permanent?

Setting environment variables is your responsibility;
the procedure varies depending on your operating system.

On UNIX variants you usually set it in the shell profile.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe