Re: Frontend/Backend protocol question. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Frontend/Backend protocol question.
Date
List pgsql-general
Dmitriy Igrishin wrote:
> According to
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/protocol-flow.html#AEN91458
> "is not actually necessary for the frontend to wait for
> ReadyForQuery before issuing another command".
>
> But is it necessary for frontend to wait for ReadyForQuery
> before sending Describe message? Or is it necessary to
> wait for RowDescription/NoData after sending Describe
> before sending Query or, say, Prepare?
>
> In short, is it necessary for frontend to wait for responses
> on sent messages before sending a new ones?

I agree with your interpretation. I have not tried it myself,
but I think you can just send the next message without waiting
for ReadyForQuery.

The problem is that this may not make sense: for example, if you
send Describe immediately after Parse, it may be that the Parse
fails and the Describe does something you did not intend.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe