Re: Oracle vs PostgreSQL in real life - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: Oracle vs PostgreSQL in real life
Date
List pgsql-hackers
-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Lavergne [mailto:mlavergne-pub@richlava.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 9:41 AM
To: Jean-Paul ARGUDO
Cc: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Oracle vs PostgreSQL in real life

There is probably an explanation but "computes stuffs" doesn't provide
much information to go with. Do you think you could boil this down to a
test case? Also, expand on what the batch file does, the size
database, and which interface you are using. I'm sure people would like
to help, but there simply isn't enough information do derive and
conclusions here.
This seems a very important test case.  If possible, and the client will
allow it, perhaps the relevant pieces of the schema could be published
to some ftp site along with the relevant C code.  Then, we could
populate
the tables with dummy data and run the same tests.  One of two things
will happen (I predict).

1.  Someone will find a way to make it run fast.
OR
2.  Someone will offer an improvement to PostgreSQL so that it can do as
well or better than Oracle for this application.

Without understanding the problem, we end up guessing.