Re: Expose checkpoint start/finish times into SQL. - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Theo Schlossnagle
Subject Re: Expose checkpoint start/finish times into SQL.
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Apr 3, 2008, at 10:33 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Theo claimed he had a reason for wanting to know the latest checkpoint
> time, *without* any intention of time-extended tracking of that; but
> he didn't say what it was.  If there is a credible reason for that
> then it might justify a patch of this nature, but I don't see that
> the reasons that have been stated so far in the thread hold any water.

We had a recent event where the system stopped checkpointing, which
eventually lead to Robert Treat's therapy session at PostgreSQL
Conference East.  If you have been good to be able to remotely (via
SQL) monitor the system to ensure that the last checkpoint start time
is within a reasonable window from current_timestamp.

My patch was clearly single purposed and never intended to be a SQL
accessible log of checkpoint times.

So, in reality, the "finish time" of the checkpoint is really not of
any importance to me either.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
Esoteric Curio -- http://lethargy.org/