database restoration problem- data became incorrect caused by incorrect date in the server - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Khangelani Gama
Subject database restoration problem- data became incorrect caused by incorrect date in the server
Date
Responses Re: database restoration problem- data became incorrect caused by incorrect date in the server  (Khangelani Gama <Khangelani.Gama@ucs-software.co.za>)
List pgsql-admin

Hi all

I am a junior DBA:

Please give an advice on how I should solve the following problem,

We are still using 7.3.4 PostgreSQL but will be upgrading very soon, database is running on CentOS 5 O/S .

Problem: - it’s about the wrong data in the system:

Everything was fine until a certain process(for financial period processing) that normally generates many transactions in the database took place when the server lost the date. The date changed from 07-04-2010 to 15-08-2003…hence the process ran until it finished which leaded to the generation of the wrong data.

When we thought of restoring from a successful dump file(backup file) for the 07-04-2010 so that we could restore it to have everything before the date changed, we were not lucky because the only latest successful dump file was on the 03/04/2010.

Question:

How can we removed everything that got processed on the wrong date and have everything restored so that it’s in the correct state as at 07/04/2010… I tried to search for a solution but I can’t find anything.

Your help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Khangelani

Confidentiality Notice:http://ucs.co.za/conf.html

The contents of and attachments to this e-mail are intended for the addressee only, and may contain the confidential information of UCS Group and/or its subsidiaries. Any review, use or dissemination thereof by anyone other than the intended addressee is prohibited. If you are not the intended addressee please notify the writer immediately and destroy the e-mail. UCS Group Limited and its subsidiaries distance themselves from and accept no liability for unauthorised use of their e-mail facilities or e-mails sent other than strictly for business purposes.