Re: I lost my password - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject Re: I lost my password
Date
List pgsql-general
After removing PostgreSQL and manually deleting all the other files
installed by it I reinstalled PostgreSQL, I started the cmd.exe and typed
psql, asked me for the password, entered it, but to no avail.
I took notes of all the information I entered during the installation, so
this time I'd be sure of the password. Now I know that the problem resides
in the PostgreSQL, this makes it easier to trace the problem; since human
error can be out of the way.

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Klaver
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2015 12:12 AM
To: papa@arbolone.ca ; PostGreSQL MailingList
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] I lost my password

On 07/26/2015 08:15 PM, papa@arbolone.ca wrote:
> OK, I think I should tell you folks that I am a newbie. I am using
> postgresql to learn the SQL for the purpose of learning storing the data
> in my c++ application. I have near zero knowledge of SQL or PostgreSQL
> for that matter.
> When I type C:\pgsql, I am asked to entered a password, but I don't
> recall the any passwords I might've set up at installation time.

Well I do not use Windows much and not all for Postgres so I am at bit
of lose here. I did find this:

http://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/9.3/pginstguide/PostgreSQL_Installation_Guide-07.htm#P138_8268

which indicates a password is asked for in the install.

You have no recollection of that being asked or a clue as to what
password you may have used?

Since the password is used for both the database and the service account
and assuming you have not actually done anything with the database, I
take back my earlier comment about not reinstalling. It might be easier
to do that then going through all the steps necessary to reset in place,
given that you are just starting out.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com