Re: New PGXN Extension site - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: New PGXN Extension site
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jun 16, 2010, at 3:37 AM, Dave Page wrote:

>> heh I'm with Robert on that PGXN just sounds and speels weird - PGAN was
>> much easier ;)
>
> +1

Seriously? To me, “pee-gan” just didn't sound nice. And the acronym, “PostgreSQL Add-on Network,” wasn't as good, since
it'smainly extension-focused. I guess it could be “PostgreSQL Archive Network,” going back to the CPAN example.
Downsideto that is that it likely won't distribute PostgreSQL itself.

I thought “PGXN” sounded more official-ish, less cute. And I don't mind “pixin” as the pronunciation.

Perhaps I could get on board with PGAN if we follow Cédric’s example and pronounce it “pe-zhan.”

Honestly, I didn't realize anyone was attached to “PGAN.”

Frankly, I blame whoever named PostgreSQL itself and came up with the short version, “PG.” Nothing but pigs out of
that.

Best,

David