Re: Unsubscribe - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Unsubscribe
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Oct 4, 2006, at 9:00 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I also don't care about that argument in this situation. People
>> ignorantly posting an unsubscribe to the list get this kind of
>> response
>> because it's an annoyance to the list users,
>
> Over time especially now, we will see many more "users" versus
> "developers". Most "users" will never know how (nor should they
> have to)
> read email headers.

They should know how to participate in mailing lists. That's
unrelated to whether you're a developer or a user.

The same webpage where you subscribe to a mailing list,
you can also unsubscribe. This is not some weird technical
voodoo, just that some people prefer to waste a thousand
other peoples time than spend a minute or two of their own.
Fortunately, they're a tiny minority.

>> benefits long-term list users the most. The real question is:
>> which is
>> more annoying to list users, the occasional unsubscribe posted to the
>> list (with accompanying responses), or a one-line footer on each post
>> providing a link to unsubscribe instructions?
>
> Good point, because I guarantee you every time someone pulls this
> elitist dung about email headers, I am going to step in and say
> something.
>
> So if you want to shut me up, lets get the footer added.

Judging from experience on other lists, it won't help. The tiny
minority of people who are unable to unsubscribe will continue
to be unable to unsubscribe. It won't hurt, though.

Cheers,
   Steve