Re: Performance Anomalies in 7.4.5 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Thomas F.O'Connell
Subject Re: Performance Anomalies in 7.4.5
Date
List pgsql-performance
I know, I know: I should've done this before I posted. REINDEXing and
VACUUMing mostly fixed this problem. Which gets me back to where I was
yesterday, reviewing an import process (that existed previously) that
populates tables in this system that seems to allow small data sets to
cause simple queries like this to crawl. Is there anything about
general COPY/INSERT activity that can cause small data sets to become
so severely slow in postgres that can be prevented other than being
diligent about VACUUMing? I was hoping that pg_autovacuum along with
post-import manual VACUUMs would be sufficient, but it doesn't seem to
be the case necessarily. Granted, I haven't done a methodical and
complete review of the process, but I'm still surprised at how quickly
it seems able to debilitate postgres with even small amounts of data. I
had a similar situation crawl yesterday based on a series of COPYs
involving 5 rows!

As in, can I look for something to treat the cause rather than the
symptoms?

If not, should I be REINDEXing manually, as well as VACUUMing manually
after large data imports (whether via COPY or INSERT)? Or will a VACUUM
FULL ANALYZE be enough?

Thanks!

-tfo

--