RE: PostgreSQL 7.1 and ORACLE 8.x - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Willis, Ian (Ento, Canberra)
Subject RE: PostgreSQL 7.1 and ORACLE 8.x
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi All
Correct me if I'm wrong
Oracle features not yet on postgresql

Good Backup utilities, Backup backup API (compare the speed of a large dump
on oracle to postgresql)
Binary (fast) dump utility
fine grained control of the filesystem layout from within the DB
fine grained control of table spaces
fine grained control of how the table_space grows ie no increase, increase
by an decreasing/increasing amounts etc.
Parrellel server (cluster storing a single DB) Allowing some queries to be
sped up by throwing more machines at the problem.
Threaded db backend allowing some queries to be speed up by throwing more
processors at the problem.

As far as I'm concerned thats about it. Currently the only ones that I would
like to see fixed in the short term would be Online Backups followed by
backups in general. The rest of the stuff on this list is not needed by 99%
of people (but still nice to point to).

What makes oracle the first choice is that by recommending it you use the
"Nobody got fired for buying IBM" school, it is expensive, support is good
and the CEO has heard of it.
If you do use postgresql. Make sure that other people appreciate the
alternatives and their cost beforehand, present it as a calculated risk, you
are taking a risk on a technology that can give your company a competitive
edge however as it is a new technology that may not have been tested in the
role that you're anticipating. Be aggressive but don't be blinkered by your
preference as well.

Postgresql is a great product and very close to being a 24*7 product I don't
think it quiet there yet.

Postgresql is more advanced in a number of areas as well

--
Ian Willis