RE: External Large objects what became of them - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Willis, Ian (Ento, Canberra)
Subject RE: External Large objects what became of them
Date
Re: External Large objects what became of them  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
By external large objects I mean storing the objects as ordinary files
through the database interface, giving you a filesystem that supports
tranactions though a postgresql interface. This was one of the features
Stonebraker thought would be very useful. I was reading about xdelta and
remembering the feature being in postgres many moons ago and causing lots of
confusion and thought it may be possible to port Xdelta over to using
postgresql as the backend.
http://www.xcf.berkeley.edu/~jmacd/xdelta.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Monday, 20 November 2000 4:42 PM
To: Willis, Ian (Ento, Canberra)
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] External Large objects what became of them

"Willis, Ian (Ento, Canberra)" <Ian.Willis@ento.csiro.au> writes:
> Does anyone know what the status of external large objects is?

Not sure what you consider an "external" large object is.  7.0.* has
a few remnants of what apparently used to be support for three or four
kinds of large objects, but the code was nowhere close to working
even if it weren't #define'd out.  I ripped the remnants out for 7.1;
all that's left is the "standard" kind of LO.  The "standard" kind has
been reimplemented a lot more efficiently, courtesy of Denis Perchine,
if that makes you feel any better...

            regards, tom lane