Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (5TB) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (5TB)
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Nov 15, 2005, at 3:28 AM, Claus Guttesen wrote:

> Hardware-wise I'd say dual core opterons. One dual-core-opteron
> performs better than two single-core at the same speed. Tyan makes

at 5TB data, i'd vote that the application is disk I/O bound, and the
difference in CPU speed at the level of dual opteron vs. dual-core
opteron is not gonna be noticed.

to maximize disk, try getting a dedicated high-end disk system like
nstor or netapp file servers hooked up to fiber channel, then use a
good high-end fiber channel controller like one from LSI.

and go with FreeBSD amd64 port.  It is *way* fast, especially the
FreeBSD 6.0 disk system.