Re: [pgadmin-support] making me love pgAdmin III - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Eric Hill
Subject Re: [pgadmin-support] making me love pgAdmin III
Date
Re: [pgadmin-support] making me love pgAdmin III
Re: [pgadmin-support] making me love pgAdmin III
List pgadmin-support

Ø  Either way, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

This is something that a developer of software that people pay for would never say, even if we sometimes think it, because we value our customers.

Ø  You can't please everyone unfortunately but then a) it's free (despite being estimated at over $2M worth of work), and b) it's open source so those that are inclined can help improve it further.

When you feel the need to point out to people who are critical of your software that “it’s free”, the message you are sending is that because people aren’t paying for it, they don’t have a right to be critical, and you frankly aren’t that interested in their feedback.  That’s really one of the dangers of using free software – the developers don’t lose anything if you stop using it, so why should they care what you think?

Ø  In your case maybe you could explain how you're using it such that you see slow response.

One thing I’m doing is launching the software.  pgAdmin III launches and is ready to go in 3 seconds.  pgAdmin 4 takes 20 seconds.

The other thing I’m doing is expanding nodes in the Browser tree.  When I expand the Ðatabases node under my server, pgAdmin 4 takes about 3.5 seconds to respond.  pgAdmin 3 is instantaneous.  Similarly, when I expand a node for a specific database, pgAdmin 4 takes 5 seconds.  pgAdmin 3 is instantaneous.  With pgAdmin 4, I am constantly asking myself, “Wait, I thought I clicked that.  Did I miss it?”

Also, when I expand a database node, there is a Schemas subnode.  pgAdmin III immediately shows a “(7)” next to Schemas to tell me how many schemas there are.  pgAdmin 4 can’t manage to tell me how many schemas there are until after I have expanded Schemas, at which point I can count them myself.  So pgAdmin 4 is doing less than pgAdmin III and yet taking orders of magnitude longer.

I am running pgAdmin 4 on a Windows box, quad core CPU, 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD.

I seriously may go back to PostgreSQL 9.3 so that I can use pgAdmin III until I can wean myself off the tool.

Eric