Re: Splitting queries across servers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Max
Subject Re: Splitting queries across servers
Date
List pgsql-general

Good point. Adding memory as I need it.

> The price of memory drops exponentially, and so waiting for the price to
> drop will give a much lower expense for the cost of the RAM.
>
> The reason to double the ram is the expense of upgrading in terms of
> labor and downtime for the computer.  That can be very significant.  So
> if we double the ram, that should give one or (hopefully) two years
> safety margin.

Downtime is a big deal, however I am planning on using replication with
pgpool.

> If the database is expected to grow exponentially fast, then that is
> another issue.   In such a case, if it can be cost justified, put on the
> largest memory volume that is possible given your financial limitations.

We can't really forecast the growing curve. My bet is that we have a short
term (6 months) need of 32 GB, so I'll just double that and it should give
us visibility for about a year. I hope!

I just realized I never asked that question: What is the maximum size of a
postgresql DB. Can it be anything ?

Max