Re: PostgreSQL vs. Microsoft SQL server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Ribe
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. Microsoft SQL server
Date
List pgsql-general
On May 1, 2010, at 12:47 PM, Thomas Løcke wrote:

> The
> sales-people all bang on about MSSQL being the superior choice, and
> PostgreSQL being a "toy compared to the Microsoft RDBMS".

This is complete bullshit.

I say that as someone who spent years using MS SQL Server, and who very much enjoyed using it, and who still likes it.
(ThoughI haven't used it much lately.)

The high-level overview is that from a technical standpoint they are both excellent products, and I consider them very
muchcomparable for the databases I've done. They have some different specific strengths & weaknesses for sure. PG's
lockingscheme, MVCC, basically precludes certain specific optimizations that means a small number of very specific
queriesdon't perform as well, while at the same time it means that throughput with multiple simultaneous connections
scalesextremely well with multiple processors.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com