Re: Feature: POSIX Shared memory support - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Chris Marcellino
Subject Re: Feature: POSIX Shared memory support
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom, that is a definitely valid point and thanks for the feedback. I
assume that the 'more modern' string segment naming gave the POSIX
methods an edge in avoiding collision between other apps.
As far as detecting a) whether anyone else is currently attached to
that segment and b) whether an earlier existence of the current
backend was still attached to a segment, I presumed that checking the
pid's of the backend that owns the shared memory segment and checking
the data directory (both which the SysV code already does) would
suffice?
What am I forgetting?

Michael, that is an interesting idea. That might be an avenue to
explore if there isn't a simpler way.

Thanks,
Chris Marcellino