Re: zheap: a new storage format for PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Korotkov
Subject Re: zheap: a new storage format for PostgreSQL
Date
Re: zheap: a new storage format for PostgreSQL  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: zheap: a new storage format for PostgreSQL  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 1:31 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 1:50 PM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki
<tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> From: Amit Kapila [mailto:amit.kapila16@gmail.com]
>> At EnterpriseDB, we (me and some of my colleagues) are working from more
>> than a year on the new storage format in which only the latest version of
>> the data is kept in main storage and the old versions are moved to an undo
>> log.  We call this new storage format "zheap".  To be clear, this proposal
>> is for PG-12.
>
> Wonderful!  BTW, what "z" stand for?  Ultimate?

There is no special meaning to 'z'.  We have discussed quite a few
names (like newheap, nheap, zheap and some more on those lines), but
zheap sounds better.  IIRC, one among Robert or Thomas has come up
with this name.

I would propose "zero-bloat heap" disambiguation of zheap.  Seems like fair enough explanation for me without need to rename :)

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company