Re: GSoC 2018 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Korotkov
Subject Re: GSoC 2018
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi!

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 5:26 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
* Alexander Korotkov (a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru) wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 11:36 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > * Stephen Frost (sfrost@snowman.net) wrote:
> > > The deadline for Mentoring organizations to apply is: January 23.
> >
> > We currently only have four (4) projects for 2018 listed on our
> > projects page here:
> >
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php?title=GSoC_2018
>
> Could 2017 project ideas be reused this year?  IIRC, only 3 of project
> ideas were used last year.

Yes!  As I mentioned in my initial email, they simply need to be updated
and we need to make sure that we have mentors for them.

If you're willing to mentor for one or multiple, please review the
description, remove the previous mentors and put yourself and then
update the '2017' to be '2018' and we'll include it.  Also, feel free to
contact the other former mentors if you believe the'll be interested in
mentoring again this year.

What I don't want to do is assume that people who volunteered to mentor
last year are willing to do so again this year.

Great!  I've pull following projects for 2018:

 * GiST API advancement
 * TOAST'ing in slices
 * Table density estimation for approximate queries
 * Extract scanning strategy to the separate entity from GiST/GIN/SP-GiST opclasses

Oleg Bartunov, Teodor Sigaev, Andrey Borodin and I confirmed volunteering to mentor these projects this year.  The only thing to clarify: are you volunteering to mentor TOAST'ing in slices this year?  If no, please correct the wiki accordingly.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company