explain analyze reports that my queries are fast but they run very slowly - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Nikolas Everett
Subject explain analyze reports that my queries are fast but they run very slowly
Date
Re: explain analyze reports that my queries are fast but they run very slowly  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-performance
We just upgraded from 8.3 to 9.1 and we're seeing some performance problems.  When we EXPLAIN ANALYZE our queries the explain result claim that the queries are reasonably fast but the wall clock time is way way longer.  Does anyone know why this might happen?

Like so:
db=>\timing
db=>EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT max(id) FROM foo WHERE blah_id = 1209123;

The plan is sensible.  The estimates are sensible.  The actual DB time reads like it is very sensible.  But the wall clock time is like 11 seconds and the \timing report confirms it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nik