Re: Thinking About Correlated Columns (again) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Nikolas Everett
Subject Re: Thinking About Correlated Columns (again)
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
On 15.05.2013 18:31, Shaun Thomas wrote:
I've seen conversations on this since at least 2005. There were even
proposed patches every once in a while, but never any consensus. Anyone
care to comment?

Well, as you said, there has never been any consensus.

There are basically two pieces to the puzzle:

1. What metric do you use to represent correlation between columns?

2. How do use collect that statistic?

The option that always made the most sense to me was having folks ask postgres to collect the statistic by running some command that marks two columns as correlated.  This could at least be a starting point.

Nik