Re: Question about role attributes docs - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Swaha Miller
Subject Re: Question about role attributes docs
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 1:32 PM Shinya Kato <Shinya11.Kato@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
On 2022-01-12 02:07, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Tue, 2022-01-11 at 16:40 +0900, Shinya Kato wrote:
>> I have a question about the documentation on ROLE.
>>
>> According to [1], INHERIT and BYPASSRLS can be specified when
>> executing
>> the CREATE ROLE command. However, there is no such description in Role
>> Attributes in [2]. Are these concepts different from Role Attributes?
>> Or
>> are they just not documented? If they need to be documented, I'll
>> create
>> a patch.
>>
>> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-createrole.html
>> [2] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/role-attributes.html
>
> I think that is indeed an omission, and adding documentation would be a
> good idea.
Thanks! I created the patch, and attached it.

> On the other hand, a lot of that information is more or less
> a duplicate of the CREATE ROLE documentation.  I wonder if the latter
> page could be removed altogether.
I think there is certainly a lot of overlap. However, I think that the
SQL commands page and the database roles page should exist separately,
and should be maintained as they are because there are parts that do not
overlap (for example, IN ROLE and ADMIN).

--
Regards,

--
Shinya Kato
Advanced Computing Technology Center

May I suggest replacing the following verbiage in your patch
+        A role is needed to permission to inherit privileges of roles it is a member of.
+        (except for superusers, since those bypass all permission checks).
+        If not specified, <literal>INHERIT</literal> is the default, so to create such a role, use either:

with clearer wording such as the following:

A role can explicitly be restricted at time of creation from inheriting privileges of
roles it is a member of (except for superusers, since those bypass all permission checks.)
Restricting privileges is done by the <literal>NOINHERIT</literal> option.
If no option is specified, <literal>INHERIT</literal> is the default. So to create a role that inherits
privileges, use either:

Regards,

Swaha Miller
Amazon Web Services