Re: Complex transactions without using plPgSQL Functions. It is possible? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Angelico
Subject Re: Complex transactions without using plPgSQL Functions. It is possible?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> In psql, see "\set AUTOCOMMIT off".  In other frontends, it would depend
> on the client-side code whether or how you can do that.
>
> (We once made an attempt to provide this sort of behavioral option on
> the server side; but it was a complete disaster from the client
> compatibility standpoint, and was soon, um, rolled back.)

I'm talking about using the application-level protocols (eg the pg_*
functions in PHP), so it's your second option. And yeah, I see your
point. Major compat issues. Well, at least the libpqxx library can
solve that one!

ChrisA