Re: what Linux to run - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Angelico
Subject Re: what Linux to run
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM, David Boreham <david_list@boreham.org> wrote:
> I stick by my opinion that anyone who goes with the OS-bundled version of a
> database server, for any sort of serious production use, is making a
> mistake.

I would qualify this.

If you accept the OS-bundled version, you are relinquishing
responsibility to the OS packagers. If you install your choice of
package, you retain responsibility for choice of version (and if you
install from source, you retain even more). It's not a "mistake" to
use the OS-provided version necessarily, but if you have particular
needs, you always have the option of picking your own version.

ChrisA