Re: Usage of pg_stat_database - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Amitabh Kant
Subject Re: Usage of pg_stat_database
Date
List pgsql-performance
Thanks Jeff. This should help in getting a fairly approximate values.

Amitabh

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 19:34 +0530, Amitabh Kant wrote:
> If I read the xact_commit field returned by "Select * from
> pg_stat_database" multiple times, and then average the difference
> between consecutive values, would this give an approx idea about the
> transactions per second in my database?

Yes, approximately. It relies on the stats messages.

> Does this figure include the number of select statements being
> executed in the db?

Yes, a quick test shows that select statements count as well. However,
it seems that very simple selects, like "SELECT 1" might not send the
stats messages right away, and they might end up getting lost.

Regards,
       Jeff Davis