Re: Performance Monitoring of PostGRE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Nolan
Subject Re: Performance Monitoring of PostGRE
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 3:57 AM, BangarRaju Vadapalli <BangarRaju.Vadapalli@infor.com> wrote:

Hi Everybody,

   We want to monitor the performance of PostGRE database. Could anyone please suggest any tools tried/working successfully…

1.       We want AWR kind of report in Postgres

 By AWR do you mean something like AWStats?

The impression I got at PGCon 11 is that all of the major log file analysis tools have their fans and their weaknesses.  Splunk is on my 'I want to test this' list, but it gets pricey.

2.       We would like to do CPU Utilization monitoring based on the postgres processes

I don't think log file analysis tools can gather information about CPU usage..  You'd need something that gathered real time data from the OS, eg from /proc on a linux kernel.

sar doesn't tell you a lot about what postgres is up to.
--
Mike Nolan
nolan@tssi.com