Re: Recommendations for SSDs in production? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Nolan
Subject Re: Recommendations for SSDs in production?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 4:15 AM, Allan Kamau <kamauallan@gmail.com> wrote:

How about SSDs on Raid 1+0 (I have no experience on SSD and RAID
though) and have replication to another server having the same setup
and still do frequent backups. The Crucial m4 SSDs seem to be
reasonably priced and perform well.
The savings on power and cooling may be used in offsetting some of
cost of the warm standby server.

A question I have wondered about is whether RAID controllers, which were designed
with conventional disk drives in mind, aren't likely to spread the write load out fairly
evenly among the SSDs, and thus lead to the situation where all of the drives are
approaching their rated write cycle capacity at around the same time.

I've asked a few RAID manufacturers whether their controllers can be reconfigured to use SSDs more appropriately, I have yet to get a substantive answer.

Benjamin, have you checked to see if your 'sudden death' problem is heat related?
-
Mike Nolan