Re: when the startup process doesn't - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: when the startup process doesn't
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 17:01 Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
On 2021-04-21 16:55:28 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> My concern about it was not at all about performance, but that every time
> you write it is a new opportunity for the filesystem to lose or corrupt
> the data.

We already do, sometimes very frequent, control file updates on standbys
to update minRecoveryLSN. I don't recall reports of that causing
corruption issues. So I'd not be too concerned about that aspect?

Or perhaps we should consider having multiple copies..?  Though I definitely have seen missing WAL causing difficult to realize / detect corruption more than corrupt pg_control files...

Thanks,

Stephen