Re: Query planner using hash join when merge join seems orders of magnitude faster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Branden Visser
Subject Re: Query planner using hash join when merge join seems orders of magnitude faster
Date
List pgsql-general
I just wanted to update that I've found evidence that fixing the
planner row estimation may not actually influence it to use the more
performant merge join instead of hash join. I have found instances
where the row estimation is *overestimated* by a magnitude of 4x
(estimates 2.4m rows) and still chooses hash join over merge join,
where merge join is much faster (45s v.s. 12s).

Is there maybe a cost constant that I should be increasing for RDS to
influence the planner to choose a different strategy? I'm on a
db.m4.large instance.

Any insight around optimizing postgresql for RDS on this kind of
workload or what cost constant parameters would help this situation
would be extremely helpful.

Thanks again,
Branden