Re: WIP/PoC for parallel backup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeevan Ladhe
Subject Re: WIP/PoC for parallel backup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Asif,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 1:00 PM Asif Rehman <asifr.rehman@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I did some tests a while back, and here are the results. The tests were done to simulate
a live database environment using pgbench.

machine configuration used for this test:
Instance Type:    t2.xlarge
Volume Type  :    io1
Memory (MiB) :    16384
vCPU #           :    4
Architecture    :    X86_64
IOP                 :    16000
Database Size (GB) :    102

The setup consist of 3 machines.
- one for database instances
- one for pg_basebackup client and
- one for pgbench with some parallel workers, simulating SELECT loads.

                                   basebackup | 4 workers | 8 Workers  | 16 workers
Backup Duration(Min):       69.25    |  20.44      | 19.86          | 20.15
(pgbench running with 50 parallel client simulating SELECT load)

Well that looks a bit strange. All 4, 8 and 16 workers backup configurations
seem to have taken the same time. Is it because the machine CPUs are
only 4? In that case did you try to run with 2-workers and compare that
with 4-workers time?

Also, just to clarify and be sure - was there anything else running on any of
these 3 machines while the backup was in progress.

Regards,
Jeevan Ladhe

Backup Duration(Min):       154.75   |  49.28     | 45.27         | 20.35
(pgbench running with 100 parallel client simulating SELECT load)