Mid-level DBA - West Los Angeles, CA - Mailing list pgsql-jobs

From Guillaume Aubert
Subject Mid-level DBA - West Los Angeles, CA
Date
List pgsql-jobs

TigerLead in West Los Angeles is looking for a mid-level PostgreSQL Database Administrator. We're a fast-growing real-estate company, and we need another DBA to join our Ops team. This is a full-time position - see the details below and check out our careers site to apply.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions. Thank you!

Guillaume

Position Title: Mid-level PostgreSQL DBA

Job Type: Full-time

Location: West Los Angeles, CA (remote considered)

Company: TigerLead, a division of Move.com

Position Summary

TigerLead is one of the most heavily-trafficked networks of real estate sites on the web, and we are dedicated to helping home buyers and sellers connect with the best realtors.

This is an exciting opportunity for a detail-oriented mid-level PostgreSQL DBA to work full time in a startup-like atmosphere within a small but profitable and fast-growing division of Move Inc. (located in West Los Angeles), where your contributions will make a direct impact on clients’ success.

Our engineering team is a fun and passionate group. It already includes a Database Administrator, but we need your help and sharp eye for SQL in order to support requests from both the tech team and other parts of the business.

We do agile development based on Scrum, so an ability to communicate directly and effectively with stakeholders (both verbally and in writing) is essential. For the same reason, experience with agile practices, quick iterations, and integration of regular feedback is a big plus.

Responsibilities

  • Be the first point of contact for solving problems related to databases.

  • Handle DML and DDL requests for business stakeholders and for other members of the Tech team. Examples of common requests include business intelligence reports, new tables and columns, and ad hoc bulk data updates.

  • Help troubleshoot and optimize SQL.

  • Safely deploy DML and DDL changes in production.

  • Install and upgrade databases on non-critical servers.

  • Work independently and escalate requests when necessary to the resident DBA.

Location and Hours

Strong preference will be given to candidates who can work in our Los Angeles office (at 1554 S. Sepulveda Blvd), but we will consider telework for a great candidate with a prior teleworking experience and in a time zone close to ours (Pacific Time). This is a full-time (40 hours per week M-F) position, and we will need your work hours to overlap with 9am-3pm Pacific Time.

Qualifications

Required:

  • 3+ years of experience as a PostgreSQL Database Administrator.

  • Great troubleshooting and problem-solving skills, as well as an attention to detail.

  • Familiarity with PostgreSQL internals that aid in troubleshooting, such as EXPLAIN, pg_stat_activity, and pg_locks.

  • Proficiency with working in a production environment and safely deploying changes there.

  • Experience administering PostgreSQL database instances on Unix servers.

  • Team-first attitude, excellent communication and interpersonal skills; enjoy collaborating with others.

Big plus:

  • Sufficient knowledge of Perl or a similar language (Ruby, Python, etc) to be able to make minor changes to existing Perl code.

  • A good grasp of source code management fundamentals (we use git and GitHub).

Additional Benefits

  • A kitchen stocked with snacks, energy drinks, and more.

  • A dog-friendly environment.

  • A prime location just off the 405 in West LA.

--
Guillaume Aubert
Director of Technology