Junior DBA - West Los Angeles, CA - Mailing list pgsql-jobs

From Guillaume Aubert
Subject Junior DBA - West Los Angeles, CA
Date
List pgsql-jobs

Good afternoon,

TigerLead in West Los Angeles is looking for a Junior PostgreSQL Database Administrator. We're a fast-growing real-estate company, and we need another DBA to join our Ops team. This is a full-time position - see the details below and check out our careers site to apply.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions. Thank you!

Guillaume

Position Title: Junior PostgreSQL DBA

Job Type: Full-time

Location: West Los Angeles, CA (no remote)

Company: TigerLead, a division of Move.com

Position Summary
TigerLead is one of the most heavily-trafficked networks of real estate sites on the web, and we are dedicated to helping home buyers and sellers connect with the best realtors.

This is an exciting opportunity for a detail-oriented junior level PostgreSQL DBA to work full time in a startup-like atmosphere within a small but profitable and fast-growing division of Move Inc. (located in West Los Angeles), where your contributions will make a direct impact on clients’ success.

Our engineering team is a fun and passionate group. It already includes a Database Administrator, but we need your help in order to support requests from both the tech team and other parts of the business. This is a junior-level position, but it offers an excellent opportunity to learn from our DBA and to take initiative.

We do agile development based on Scrum, so an ability to communicate directly and effectively with stakeholders (both verbally and in writing) is essential. For the same reason, experience with agile practices, quick iterations, and integration of regular feedback is a big plus.

Responsibilities

  • Be the first point of contact for solving problems in the staging databases.
  • Handle DML and DDL requests for business stakeholders and for other members of the Tech team, with minor supervision from the database administrator. Examples of common requests include business intelligence reports, new tables and columns, and ad hoc bulk data updates.
  • Help troubleshoot and optimize SQL.
  • Install and upgrade databases on non-critical servers.
  • Escalate requests when necessary to the Database Administrator.

Location and Hours
The position is located in our Los Angeles office (at 1554 S. Sepulveda Blvd). Sorry, we cannot consider teleworking for this position at the time. This is a full-time (40 hours per week M-F) position, and we will need your work hours to overlap with 9am-3pm Pacific Time.

Qualifications
Required:
  • At least one year of experience writing DDL/DML statements for a group of developers.
  • Proficiency with common SQL syntax.
  • Great troubleshooting and problem-solving skills, as well as an attention to detail.
  • A desire to learn quickly from a top-notch DBA, and to use the feedback to further develop skills.
  • Keen interest in a DBA career.
  • Comfortable working in a Linux environment.
  • Team-first attitude, excellent communication and interpersonal skills; enjoy collaborating with others.
Big plus:
  • Experience with PostgreSQL.
  • Experience managing your own database instance, even in a non-work environment.
  • Familiarity with Perl or a similar language (Ruby, Python, etc), to be able to make minor changes to existing Perl code.
  • A good grasp of source code management fundamentals (we use git and GitHub).

Additional Benefits
  • A kitchen stocked with snacks, energy drinks, and more.
  • A dog-friendly environment.
  • A prime location just off the 405 in West LA.
--
Guillaume Aubert
Director of Technology