Re: PgAdmin on Windows - UTF8 and WIN1252 - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Baptiste GONOD
Subject Re: PgAdmin on Windows - UTF8 and WIN1252
Date
List pgadmin-support
Can you just create a database UTF8 and say me the psql -l return ? To see if you have windows.1252 on collate.

More, if you have an application UTF8, test to insert data (with char as "é € à"...) then open pgadmin to consult them.
For me : "é à  €" give "é à  €". utf8 is encoded in 1252. You can replicate that with notepadd++ typing "é à  €", convert to utf8, then encoded in ANSI (or 1252 the same things).

Thanks for your time.

2012/12/18 Vik Reykja <vikreykja@gmail.com>

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 13:54 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> Guillaume, can you provide any input here please? I only have English
> systems to hand, so can't even properly test this.

I won't be able to provide much more help on this. I used a french
Windows release, but didn't have any such issue. Probably because, back
then when I used a Windows PC, my unix PostgreSQL database used a
SQL_ASCII encoding (yeah, I know, really bad... it was 7 years ago...).

Anyway, never had big issue with encoding back then. When I use my
Windows XP on my laptop these days, I usually don't have text columns.

Sorry.

I use pgAdmin on a French Windows and have never had any problems related to encoding.