Re: Linux vs FreeBSD - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Linux vs FreeBSD
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2014, at 1:33 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Christofer C. Bell
>> <christofer.c.bell@gmail.com> wrote:

resolve.iowait varies a lot, between 5 and 50%. Does FreeBSD better schedule I/O, which could alleviate some of the
issues,or not at all? I have no experience administering FreeBSD, but I'm willing to learn if I'll get some performance
enhancementsout of the switch.

GNU/Linux

>>> From the research I've done online, this is likely your issue.  Kernel
>>> 3.2.0 has some issues that directly and severely impact I/O wait times
>>> for PostgreSQL.  The suggested fixes (that seem to have worked for
>>> most people reporting in) are to revert the OS to Ubuntu Server 10.04
>>> or to install one of the HWE (HardWare Enablement) kernels into the
>>> 12.04 system (this would be one of the kernels from a later release of
>>> Ubuntu provided in the 12.04 repositories).
>>
>> 12.04 supports 3.8.0 directly. There's a site on putting 3.10.17 or so
>> on it as well I found by googling for it. You need 3.10+ if you wanna
>> play with bcache which is how I found it. But you don't need to jump
>> through any hoops to get 3.8.0 on 12.04.4 LTS
>
> Or wait <checks watch> 8 days for14.04 LTS with kernel 3.14.

I'm not deploying any new distro version that soon. :) I know folks
just putting 12.04 into prod to replace etch and lenny. :)