Re: Why do I have reading from the swap partition? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Why do I have reading from the swap partition?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Ioana Danes <ioanasoftware@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I do a select * from a 8 GB table (a different one then the one used in the query). At a point it starts using swap
spaceon disk. Once it starts swapping I still let it run for couple of minutes and the I stop it (CTRL+C).

Are you running psql on the same machine?  My guess is that psql is
what's swapping.  Try running:

select count(*) from (select * from mybigfreakingtable);

and see if you start hitting swap like that.