Re: heavy swapping, not sure why - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: heavy swapping, not sure why
Date
Re: heavy swapping, not sure why
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca> wrote:
> On August 29, 2011 02:34:26 PM you wrote:
>> >
>> > It's the Linux kernel that does it, not PostgreSQL. Set vm.swappiness=0
>> > (usually in /etc/sysctl.conf) and put that into effect.
>>
>> that won't help and, in almost all cases, is a bad idea.
>
> Overly aggressive swapping with the default settings has frequently caused me
> performance issues. Using this prevents those problems.

On a machine with lots of memory, I've run into pathological behaviour
with both the RHEL 5 and Ubuntu 10.04 kernels where the kswapd starts
eating up CPU and swap io like mad, while doing essentially nothing.
Setting swappiness to 0 delayed this behaviour but did not stop it.
Given that I'm on a machine with 128G ram, I just put "/sbin/swapoff
-a" in /etc/rc.local and viola, problem solved.